Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thirsting for God

You Are Thirsty

“As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.” Psalm 42:1

Your soul is thirsty for Christ. Just like needing water on a summer day or after a run – your soul are craves the fulfillment that comes from a relationship with God. So often, however, we take our spiritual thirsts and try to satisfy them with the world. Though what the world offers can make us feel better for the moment, our ultimate spiritual thirst remains until we quench it with Christ.

Whenever I am feeling insecure, impatient, worried, lonely, or even just in a bad mood, I have started to say this phrase in my head: “God I am thirsty”. When I am thirsty for security, patience, trust, affirmation, joy, or comfort, I have to identify what I am feeling and immediately run to Christ to fulfill this need. Sometimes it is so easy to be feeling these emotions and, like a Band-Aid on a gaping wound, use a distraction from the world to numb my ultimate thirst for Christ.

When I am thirsty for security or affirmation – do I turn to a friend’s approval, attention from a guy, working out, receiving a leadership position, or a good grade to make me feel better? Or do I recognize that I am secure and affirmed in Christ? (Zephaniah 3:17)

When I am thirsty for joy or comfort on a bad day– do I turn to going to party, watching my favorite television show, or eating a bowl of ice cream? Or do realize that the joy I really want comes from spending time with God? (1 Peter 1:8)

When I am thirsty to belong – do I drink alcohol, gossip, cuss or compromise my moral standards to fit in with people or a “popular” crowd? Or do I remind my self that I belong to Christ and I am living to glorify Him? (Philippians 1:27)

I could go on and on about the thirsts we have for Christ that we try to quench with the world. Recognizing what your soul is thirsty for and turning to Christ with that thirst will keep you from continually drinking the world’s dehydrating substitutes when the spring of living water is available to you. I promise that this truth will change your life.

“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.” Isaiah 55

God is saying, “Come!” There is an open invitation for you to come fulfill your thirsts in Christ. Why spend money or work to sustain yourself with the world that CAN NOT satisfy you? You were created to so that your soul’s thirsts can only be satisfied by building a relationship with Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment